A wide usage of food grade silicone can be seen in baby pacifiers. They are colorful, soft and satisfy the baby on a larger scale. It can also be cleaned/sterilized using hot water. Plastic toys are purely unsafe as they are made of toxic chemicals like BPA, lead, Phthalates. Silicone is considered as the best alternative for plastic toys and the safest.
Silicone, being recognized as a food-safe substance by FDA is used in many baby products like toothbrush, spoons, sippers and even in colorful necklaces that are made for kids. Various test results have proven that food silicone doesn’t affect the health of kids in any way. Silicone also has a solid track record for safe use in baby teethers, pacifiers, bottle nipples too. We have also listed the safest and most attractive toys for new born babies to help you choose perfect toys for your babies.
What is food grade silicone?
Food grade silicone is a non-toxic type of silicone. It doesn’t contain any chemical substances. It is environment – friendly and is used in cookware and toys for babies. In particular food grade silicone is used in toys like teethers and other toys that are recommended for babies below 1 year as they tend to take everything they grab to their mouth. This food grade silicone is FDA approved and they are used in products that are related to food.
What is special about food grade silicone toys?
Food grade silicone is mostly used in baby teethers. This is a picture of an attractive teether with the tempting look of donuts completely made with food grade silicone. This would be treat for your baby’s eyes and you would also feel that your baby is safe.
- They are latex-free and BPA-free substances.
- They don’t crack or peel even when used frequently.
- It can withstand both heating and freezing.
- Light-weight and can be carried easily.
- It is highly flexible and can even resist too much power when exercised against it.
Why are silicone toys safer than plastic toys?
Food grade silicone toys vs Plastic toys:
- Consider a plastic teether given to a six-month-old baby – the baby would chew it for most part of the day leading the plastic to peel off but food silicone toys don’t peel off as they are highly flexible.
- When brought in contact with the mouth, the presence of harsh chemicals in plastic can lead to many medical issues like infertility, cancer and immune disorders. Food silicone being chemical free doesn’t carry any medicinal complications with them.
- Plastics when burnt down to their original form give toxins while silicone being closer to the rubber family only exerts carbon dioxide, amorphous silica and water vapor.
- Plastic toys are easily breakable and when it comes to babies, breaking toys has to be their favorite activity. Silicone toys don’t break easily and they withstand greater force.
Problems in choosing food grade silicone:
Choose the right one – Depending on the quality of the silicone, it may or may not contain chemical fillers.
Wash before using – Though they are toxic free, numerous microorganisms from the outside could make it unhealthy. So, the best way is to wash them frequently.
How to differentiate ordinary silicone toys and food grade silicone toys?
By smell – Food grade silicone is odorless. So, if you find any kind of smell from the product it is definitely not food grade but an ordinary one.
By touch – Food grade silicone is soft but has toughness and elasticity. Normal silicone is rough and is easily deformed by any action of external force.
By pulling – Try pulling the silicone on both ends. If you find it appear white it is ordinary silicone. Otherwise, it is food grade because food grade silicone doesn’t lose its color under any circumstances.
What does it mean to be BPA free toys?
BPA stands for bisphenol A, which is a plastic that could lead to medical problems specifically related to fetuses’, infants and children. This is the major reason to choose BPA free toys. When bottles, sippers and other baby products made of BPA are washed with hot water or sterilized they leach out a small of BPA every time. This was then proven to be harmful for babies. Food silicone toys are BPA free and they don’t melt or peel off even when exposed to extreme temperatures.
Disadvantages of silicone toys:
Silicone toys are actually new to the market and are proven to be the best so far. The problem is that it has not been used long enough to identify the effects in the long term, if there is any.
Are you worried about giving the safest toys for your kids? This article would definitely help you understand the features of food grade silicone and how food grade silicone differs from plastic. Also check the dangerous toys in India here and stay careful in choosing the toys for your kids.